Monday, July 2, 2012

I Had A John Bytheway Experience...

June really flew by, staying busy so the days are really running.  Mom, I know you are excited to see Daddy Al and begin those long awaited vacations.  That will be nice for you guys.  Nana was making my mouth water with all the details about your canning escapades, ha.  Salsa sounds amazing!  Legit tomato sauce too. It's always good to follow the voice of the Lord.  When we obey the Prophets we're richly blessed.

The Bastians??  AHHHHH!!!!  Next you'll tell me the Climer's are leaving, ha.  That sucks! But I know all things are for a reason.  They'll have to write me one of these days.  Man I was looking forward to discussing my mission with them.  At least the Parkers are sticking around.

I'm hoping to go with my companion for his Patriarchal Blessing.  He has his recommend and everything, we are just waiting for the call to come.  That would be powerful, to be with my firstborn during his blessing.

This week was great.  We taught some powerful lessons and met some interesting new people.  Right now I'm in Takoradi for a missionary activity/gathering.  Takoradi is way more nice than Cape Coast.  I'm even at a high speed, wi-fi internet cafe.  Go Western Region!  I still love my Central Region though.

I had a John Bytheway experience.  You know him, the popular church speaker?  Well, I heard a talk by him recently called "What are you carrying in your backpack?"  In the talk he recounts an experience from his mission in the Phillipines.  To make a long story short, he meets an old man who was a referral from one of the people they were teaching.  When they start the lesson the old man begins asking a lot of questions that are an attempt to sort of disprove the existence of God.  Questions like, "If God loves us so much, why are there so many wars, and evils, etc.?"

Well, while I was teaching an old man named Mr. S, I couldn't help but think of this talk.  As soon as we started teaching Mr. S, he began asking us a lot of similar questions, and tried to disprove God and Christianity by trying to create discrepancies in the Bible.  But it was one of the most powerful lessons I've had in a while.  We'll be going to teach him again this week.  I was so grateful for the Spirit and personal study.  You learn so much when you prayerfully study on specific topics everyday.

D & C 11:21 "Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men."

I felt that scripture ring true more than I ever have so far on mission.

We've been doing a lot of unplanned acts of service lately too.  Especially when appointments fall through.  Things like fetching water, carrying firewood, helping prepare Kenke, etc.  Recently we were helping a younger guy carry sacks of maize.  We met him the next day and he was so grateful we were able to talk more and really introduce the gospel to him.

Overall it was a sweet week.  Well, I can't think of much else to say so I'll end here, ha.

Love from Ghana!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.