Monday, July 9, 2012

You'll Never Feel Weak Until You Come To Ghana!

The week has been good, I must say.  My companion and I are still doing a lot of service in Nkanfoa, which has been a blessing for us and others.  Recently we went to the "farm" and carried loads of firewood on our heads, back to our recent converts house.  The distance was long, the sun was strong, and the weight was much, but I managed to accomplish the task without breaking my neck (we carry everything on our heads, it's the African way).  The locals of Nkanfoa got a  good laugh seeing "Obruni" carry large amounts of wood on my head, and I'll admit I'm sure I was a funny sight, ha.

We also have been fetching water for a member that recently gave birth and is caring for her newborn.  So we walk a good distance from her place with big, several gallon jugs in hand and sit at the local pipe to collect the water.  It takes a good 10 minutes to fill each container, and they're quiet heavy.  You'll never feel weak until you come to Ghana, ha.  After we struggle to carry these jugs, we come back for the remaining.  An African woman is always there, with a child strapped to her back, she picks up one of her heavy jugs like it's weightless and carries it effortlessly on her head, back to her home.  I'm constantly in awe of the women here!  They're so strong in every way: physically, mentally, in character.  You wouldn't believe the burdens they constantly carry every day.  Grab any girl/woman from home and have them carry the things these women carry on their heads, they would probably be squished by the weight!  And these African women always carry their child on their back as they do these tasks, it's amazing.  What's more amazing is the old women that still work just a hard, even in their senior years.  Elder Cook gave a conference talk entitled "LDS women are incredible!"  "Ghanaian women are incredible!"

Saturday our apartment went to Abura to help the Sister Missionaries do yard work for an older woman in their ward.  We got to weed and cut grass with a machete!  It was fun, cutting down overgrown bushes, etc. Remind me not to complain when I have to mow the lawn...with a machine! ha ha.  I'm going to look back longingly on the days when I did yard work with a lethal weapon, ha.

As far as the teaching aspect of missionary work goes, I went on splits in Ola with the Zone Leaders.  It was sweet because people remembered me from the last time I proselyted in Ola, back in December!

We're working with some cool people right now, and just kind of seeing how things will go with that.  Overall everything is running smooth.  President Shulz is coming to our district meeting tomorrow, that will be nice.  My guess is  that he's checking us out to see what to do for this coming transfer, because some leaders are going home in August and it will be a weird transfer.  Kumasi Mission is officially open now.

Sad news though, Patriarch Billy Johnson passed away and they are having his burial in 2 weeks.  If you don't know him, he pioneered the church in Ghana.  If you are interested in the story behind that you can easily find the information.

So, all is well.  The pictures are of my companion and I eating Kokonte with Palm Nut Soup.  I ate all of my portion but my companion couldn't finish his, ha.  I picked on him a bit for that (lovingly of course).

Bye Bye until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.