Monday, August 13, 2012

A Body On Our Porch...

My week has been solid to say the least.  I got some good news...I'm being transferred to Sekondi.  A nice place in Western Region (I'm in Central Region now), it's not too far away so I will get packages no problem, maybe a week later than I normally would.  I'll be with one of my MTC mates Elder Williamson, he's a Nigerian guy.

So, Sunday we had a perfectly timed Missionary Sacrament meeting, where I was able to give a talk and testimony to my favorite little Branch.  I chose to speak on the importance of unity; using John 17:21 and Mosiah 18:21 respectively.  It was a bittersweet meeting for sure because I've made some great friends these past 10 months and I'll miss them plenty!  But I'm happy because life is all about progression and I'll be able to move onto new things.

One interesting thing happened the other night.  Elder Obot and I were returning home after a long night of proselyting and after ascending the stairs to our porch, we saw what seemed to be a body laying on the opposite side of us.  Somewhat perplexed, I took a second to fully analyze the situation and what I was gazing at.  It turns out, it was a young boy, about 14 years.  He was sleeping in the fetal position on our porch, so we hastily woke him up to inquire about his being on our porch in the first place.  Without hesitation, he makes a pitiful face and runs a story by us about his mother having abandoned him to go to Kumasi, and how he had nowhere to sleep and no other family of any sort remaining in Nkanfoa.  Instantly I knew he was being dishonest, but nonetheless I go inside and bring him water to drink and begin warming up some Groundnut soup to eat.  My companion prepares some Chapati to accompany the soup, and while he is in the kitchen, I take the opportunity to investigate the matter further.  Fortunately, the RM who lives downstairs, Brother A, comes home and we summon him to help us with the situation.  He begins speaking Twi to the boy and finding out more information.  Unknown to us, Brother A has been seeing the boy around and knows that he in fact does have a place to stay, and he just wants free food from us because people know our apartment and know we are missionaries.  This was no surprise to me, but I remembered a scripture in the BOM (Mosiah 4:16-19) and knew that even though we sensed he was being dishonest we had done the right thing.  Can't argue with those verses you know? ha

{And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.
Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just-
But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.
For behold, are we not all beggars?  Do we not all depend upon the same being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?                                    
Mosiah 4:16-19}

Today we are meeting up at the football pitch to celebrate with the missionaries that are going home.  So, that's what I'm doing today, besides going to my final FHE tonight.

That's all I have this week.  I hope everyone has a good week and I'll talk to you practically tomorrow, ha!

Sending a shout out to Crestview 1st and 2nd Wards!!!


Elder Brown's favorite little Branch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.