Monday, October 29, 2012

That Darn Polygamy...

Yea... it's hot here, ha ha!  At least one of us is enjoying the feel of winter, ha.

The mission tour was great.  I was greatly edified, but... getting there was fun, ha.
You see, all of the missionaries in my zone were supposed to ride together and were meeting at our apartment at 7:00 am.  Well, they come and my companion starts taking his bath at 6:55 am!  Things like that are some of the challenges I face, but I still love him.  He just doesn't care about certain things and has a problem with authority.  So, our Zone Leader becomes very annoyed and ends up leaving us on our own because he knows my companion doesn't know the way to Cape Coast (Abura, precisely).  Fortunately, I stayed 10 months in the surrounding area and know there very well, so we end up getting there just in time.  That was a fun experience, ha. It's good to be a problem solver, and with the Lord just a prayer away, everything worked out.

I had to drop an investigator this week because he's a polygamist.  Yea, he has 2 wives and they actually work at the same shop, that he bought for them.  That was a first for me!

Conversion?  Hmmm, that is a good question.  Converting someone isn't an easy task to say the least.  I'll share an experience I had this week shortly, in order to prove my point.  But, I think it's best that you just follow the promptings that the Spirit gives you.  I mean follow them exactly!  But try asking "inspired questions" to see their thoughts and opinions on various gospel principles.  An example could be, "Do you believe in prophets?"  Amos 3:7 says, "surely the Lord God will do nothing except he revealeth his secrets to his servants the prophets".  If they were to express a belief and interest, testify of that very principle you are expounding on.  Trust that you will know what to do.

Back to my point concerning conversion.  I had arguably the most powerful lesson of my whole mission last Thursday with Sister A.  I felt impressed to help her understand the importance of knowing the truth of the first vision.  It was going well and I could see on her face that she was feeling the Spirit, so I asked an inspired question.  "How are you feeling right now, A?"  She then told me that she felt like God was in our midst.  I was in awe, so I continue.  Minutes later, I feel impressed to ask again.  This time she says, "I can't explain it, but your words, they're breaking my heart," and then she starts crying.  So we testify, and all that, and she's so moved by the Spirit she asks about baptism and everything.  And guess what?  She didn't even come to church Sunday.  I was sad about that, but we'll keep working.  So, sometimes the seed we plant just doesn't grow at the rate we would like, but don't worry.  Have faith that they will come around.

Our baptismal candidate M, fell off a roof last week, during his work.  So we had to push the baptism back for awhile.  He can't walk all that well but to show his commitment he still met us for a lesson before going to the hospital for a check up.  The guy is powerful.  I don't blame him for not coming to church, ha.

My week was eventful, to say the least.  I'm out of time so I have to end here.  We'll talk next week!

Peace from Ghana :)

p.s.  my camera is fine, I'll send some pics soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.