Monday, July 29, 2013

I'm Eager But Not Trunky!

Well, getting closer to home isn't all that strange, and I'm eager for the transition (not trunky though, ha) but it's my final testimony and the plane ride that will really hit me.

I'm confident I've decided on the career I want to pursue.  I felt constant uneasiness with Journalism and Teaching, and neither would bring about the vision I have for my life.  But as I was pondering the past few weeks, my mind was enlightened and I received an impression that brought about a lot of peace, and I felt like the Lord approved of.  They say that an impression that seems to confirm personal preference needs to be verified several times, but one that seems contrary to personal preference is generally more valid.  But as I was pondering the thought of Pharmacy came clearly into my mind, and at first I was confused because that goes against my initial preference due to all of the schooling, but as I continue to ponder, it continues to feel right and my mind is clear and at peace and I can see myself enjoying said career.  I never really considered anything medical but I have a lot of interest as of late, with different experiences in Cape Coast.

Well, things are not all bad with the work, we had 2 baptisms Saturday.  E and E, they are related to one of Elder Rasmussen's converts.  We're hoping to have 2 more on the 10th and 17th of August.  I'm hoping, and am pretty confident I will be here at least another transfer.

I did have an interesting experience this week, spiritually speaking, that taught me more about faith.  So we are working with a Brother K, and he is a referral.  He has come to church once, but consistently has not come for the past 3 weeks.  So recently we were walking in his area and we met him preparing to take his bath, and as we approached he seemed apprehensive and even slightly annoyed by our presence.  As we casually talk with him, we bring up his lack of church attendance, and he proceeds to inform us of his issue with his feet.  At the moment his feet are very swollen, to the point that he can't even wear shoes, only slippers, and that is why he hasn't been coming.  As we were listening the impression came to me, "offer him a blessing," along with a confirmation that it is the right move, and immediately I reasoned within myself, "what if he isn't healed? what will he think about the church?" and other scenarios.  However you put it, I lacked faith, and let doubt get the best of me, even though I know the priesthood is real and I've seen miracles in my mission through the priesthood.  We did give him the blessing, and I felt sorrow for my lack of faith.  That kind of sorrow that comes when you don't give heed to a spiritual impression; it's not a fun feeling.  Well, the next morning, I felt impressed to read the latest conference Ensign, and Elder Holland's name came to me, so wanting to obey I promptly read it and I know that the Lord was speaking to me through this talk.  I felt love, I felt peace, I felt acceptance, and I was touched by this particular quote:  "The size of your faith or the degree of your knowledge is not the issue-it is the integrity you demonstrate toward the faith you do have and the truth you already know."

That word, integrity, struck me.  The idea simply being true to whatever level of testimony or faith you have.  Reflecting on that experience with K, the thought "don't worry about it, when the impression comes just do it!" formulated in my mind.  We shouldn't dwell on possible outcomes, or worry ourselves when an impression comes, just act upon it.  You've been blessed with a testimony of these things, stay true to them!  And when you stay true to them, you are going to receive more, because the Lord has trust that you really will act in accordance with His desire.

Later in the week, I stumbled upon a talk by Elder Bednar about "learning by faith."  I love this quote:  "A learner exercising agency by acting in accordance with correct principles opens his or her heart to the Holy Ghost and invites His teaching, testifying power, and confirming witness.  Learning by faith requires spiritual, mental, and physical exertion and not just passive reception.  It is in the sincerity and consistency of our faith-inspired action that we indicate to our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, our willingness to learn and receive instruction from the Holy Ghost.  Thus, learning by faith involves the exercise of moral agency to act upon the assurance of things hoped for and invites the evidence of things not seen from the only true teacher, the Spirit of the Lord."  Real faith, always requires action, no matter what the size of that faith happens to be, we have to be willing to "just for for it" anyway.

Well, I'm sure you can tell I had a great week, even in the absence of all the details, ha ha.  I'll leave you here, but I will talk to you next week.

Much love from the Gold Coast!  Next week, bye bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.